Decentralize All Things
Welcome to SaidIt's Decentralize All Things wiki upon which good things will follow.
This editable wiki page seems similar to a comment but for anyone to edit and contribute, including internal links (including the entire SaidIt html path) and external links to other websites.
If this wiki list grows to unwieldy we may use the uncensored InfoGalactic.com wiki to add and curate content or do my own or group open-wiki-projects in coordination with this SaidIt voting discussion forum.
I've configured this Decentralize All Things subsaidit to my best abilities on my Brave browser. If you see any anomalies or ways I can improve it I'd be eternally grateful if you let me know at /u/JasonCarswell . Thanks in advance.
Decentralization protocols and platforms list
- WP: Fediverse using the ActivityPub protocol,
- Features apps like WP: PeerTube and Mastodon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastodon_(software) and /s/DecentralizeAllThings/comments/bt4/some_interesting_projects_in_the_fediverse/ .
- IG: InterPlanetary File System
- used by DTube
- WP: WebTorrent
- is a protocol but also has a standalone client, one of the few that can do both BitTorrents and WebTorrents (though I'm not sure if it can share across protocols)
- used by BitChute
- IG: ZeroNet
- ZeroNet has an addon for Firefox but it seems not for Chrome. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zeronet-helper https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ZeroNet+addon
There are many more not yet listed and in development.
List Of Decentralized Social Media Applications
Cloud & internet services alternatives list
- ownCloud https://owncloud.org/features
- NextCloud https://nextcloud.com
- Seafile https://www.seafile.com/en/features
- FreedomBox https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
- PirateBox https://piratebox.cc/faq
- LibraryBox http://librarybox.us/Aboutv2.1.php
Self hosting guide
Some options for exposing your local services to the internet include:
- A dynamic DNS service like http://www.duckdns.org (free)
- must configure port forwarding on your router
- must configure port forwarding on your router
- Paid proxy services
- Self-hosted proxy services
Domain names can be pointed to your services by configuring their
Offline hosting guide
[ To Be Determined ]
Financial funding alternatives list
Started at this post: /s/DecentralizeAllThings/comments/b3e/decentralization_alternatives_financial_support/
- banks, credit unions, financial institutions, trusts, etc
- credit cards
- WP: PayPal
- WP: Patreon
- WP: GoFundMe
- WP: Kickstarter
- WP: Wefunder (on which Subverse raised million(s) in record time, Everipedia also)
Alternatives to consider:
- https://EntroPay.com (used by Red Ice TV as mentioned on 2019-08-10 yet their site says closed 2019-07-01)
Please feel free to comment for full disclosure on the pros and cons.
Further, there's no shortage of WP: cryptocurrencies as this WP: limited list attests. (Wikipedia has a war on against cryptos for fear of scams, yet support all the myths of the establishment and their giant scams). There's a dedicated subsaidit at /s/cryptocurrency to discuss this specifically.
Paywall alternatives list
Ryan Dawson has gone through hell being censored.
In his interview with the Halsey News Network "Radio Free America (Episode 268): Social Censorship" (2019-03-04) @ around 1:40:00 they discuss who he's ruled out and the solution he goes with now. He finally set up a paywall through Cleeng after trying Muvi and Wistia and other stuff.
- Cleeng - https://cleeng.com/ - Cleeng is a company based in the Netherlands that does nothing but payment processing. Subscriber Retention Management™ Designed For OTT. Most advanced APIs for maximum modularity and OTT efficiency. "Cleeng Core enables you to build a comprehensive OTT video platform and manages all aspects of subscriber management for you. Cleeng Core consists of identity and access management [IAM], product entitlement, customer service, subscriber billing and advanced analytics functionalities." See also: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Cleeng+Paywall+Netherlands
- Muvi - https://www.muvi.com/
- Wistia - https://wistia.com/
Sadly , Ryan Dawson said "they" were messing with his Cleeng account @8m+ in "A bit of everything with anti-bolton" (2019-06-10).
Multistream to 30+ Platforms | Restream.io - [ The best way to stream live video to 30+ platforms simultaneously for free ] : https://restream.io/ : /s/DecentralizeAllThings/comments/mh3/multistream_to_30_platforms_restreamio_the_best/
In part or in whole, these platforms embrace some decentralization features:
- https://BitChute.com + see also: IG: BitChute / WP: BitChute
- https://DLive.tv - "Live Stream on Blockchain" ?
- https://DTube.com + see also: IG: DTube / WP: DTube
- https://Isegoria.com (Ben Swann's Isegoria)
- https://PeerTube.com + see also: IG: PeerTube / WP: PeerTube
- IG: QBittorrent / WP: QBittorrent
- IG: WebTorrent / WP: WebTorrent
YouTube alternatives list
Started at this post: /s/DecentralizeAllThings/comments/cdq/youtube_alternatives/
For mainstream corporate media as well as independent alternative media, there are countless other lists available:
- https://www.All-Video-Sites.com for 250+ links so far.
This post's image used is from "10 Best YouTube Alternatives (Video Sharing Websites) for Watching Videos" (2018-11-01) on GeekDashBoard.com which included (my alphabetization):
- https://Archive.org/details/movies Internet Archive's Video Section
They didn't mention:
- https://153news.net - another alternative video site, preferred by Matthew North over BitChute.
- BBC iPlayer
- https://Blip.tv redirects to https://www.Maker.tv/ with nothing there
- https://www.Unauthorized.tv - For select deplatformed content, not open for anyone. Founded by Vox Day, alt-right sci-fi author and founder of /s/InfoGalactic.
- https://UStream.tv - redirects to https://video.ibm.com/ "The Future of Video with Watson" IBM Watson Media
- http://VideoJug.com - redirects to https://www.youtube.com/user/VideoJug
- Yahoo! Video
- https://Youku.com - One of China's biggest.
revision by JasonCarswell— view source