- Decentralize All Things
- Decentralization protocols and platforms list
- Decentralized Applications
- Cloud & internet services alternatives list
- Hosting guides
- Search engine alternatives list
- Financial funding alternatives list
- Paywall alternatives list
- Video decentralization list
- TO DO
- YouTube alternatives lists
Decentralize All Things
Welcome to this Decentralize All Things wiki.
This editable wiki page is similar to a comment but anyone can edit and contribute, including adding internal links (include the entire SaidIt html path) and external links to other websites.
Assistance with Markdown code formatting can be found on this Commenting wiki page for common issues to advanced techniques.
If this wiki page grows too unwieldy then sub-pages can be made for specific topics. If this wiki page grows excessively unwieldy we may use the uncensored WikiSpooks.com and/or InfoGalactic.com wikis to add and curate content and/or do non-encyclopedic open-wiki-projects in coordination with SaidIt and this SaidIt forum.
This Decentralize All Things subsaidit has been configured in a Brave browser. If you see any anomalies or ways to improve it please contact a moderator. Thanks in advance.
Decentralization protocols and platforms list
- WP: Fediverse using the ActivityPub protocol,
- Features apps like WP: PeerTube and Mastodon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastodon_(software) and /s/DecentralizeAllThings/comments/bt4/some_interesting_projects_in_the_fediverse/ .
- Protocol Labs develops these important interrelated protocols: FileCoin, IPFS, IPLD, libp2p, Multiformats
- IG: InterPlanetary File System
- used by DTube
- WP: WebTorrent
- is a protocol but also has a standalone client, one of the few that can do both BitTorrents and WebTorrents (though I'm not sure if it can share across protocols)
- used by BitChute
- IG: ZeroNet
- ZeroNet has an addon for Firefox but it seems not for Chrome. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zeronet-helper https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ZeroNet+addon
- see also:
There are many more not yet listed and in development.
- Prismo test instance @ prismo.news is looking sweet!
- Peertube's Android app now supports instance login and some basic interaction functionality!
- Funkwhale has implemented some of the Subsonic API so you can use some other compatible clients mentioned in the docs.
- Pixelfed now federates.
No More Google:
- Rather than support the monolith, diversify and decentralize with services on this alternatives list:
- /s/censorship/comments/1en5/a_list_of_decentralized_apps/ , submitted by /u/therium
- including social media, communication apps used on Hong Kong, and more. Some are based on the blockchain, some are P2P. Scroll down towards the bottom where it says "Blockchain/Decentralized storage". There are also privacy tools, decentralized browers, decentralized messaging, links to secure operating systems.
Dissenter (browser app by Gab):
- "The Comment Section of the Internet - The Dissenter web browser is built for The People, not advertisers. Block Big Tech ads and trackers by default. Discover a comment section on every URL online. Welcome to the free speech internet. Download Dissenter Browser Downloads of Dissenter are available for. Windows 64-bit , Linux and macOS."
Discussions.app (in development at beta.discussions.app):
- The ideal we strive for is a completely free discussion platform that empowers users with advanced tools like delegated moderation. It is private and anonymous by design, doesn't require anything to create an account and is completely and transparently recorded on a public blockchain. It is of course totally free and open source as well.
- is now federated
- Ben Swann's new social media platform - Isegoria [i-sē-gor-í-a] noun; from the ancient Greek meaning “Equality of all in freedom of speech”
- is a Facebook alternative that is opposed to surveillance, open source, decentralized, uncensored (so-far), and is funded by a cryptocurrency.
- is a FLOSS voice user interface, aka virtual assistant, and knowledge navigator for Linux-based operating systems that uses a natural language user interface. The world’s first fully open-source AI voice assistant.
Notabug (in early development):
- Notabug is a decentralized P2P Reddit alternative, which also offers an improved moderation system where the end user is the sole decider in what type of content they engage in.
Open Markets Institute:
- journalism to promote greater awareness of political and economic dangers of monopolization, identify changes in policy and law allowing such consolidation, and for discussions on how to update America’s traditional political economic principles.
The OSSwin Project:
- Open Source for Windows!
- is a federated blogging engine, based on ActivityPub. It is written in Rust, with the Rocket framework, and Diesel to interact with the database. The front-end uses Ructe templates, WASM and SCSS.
- is decentralized + rewards
- Pocketnet FAQ: https://pastebin.com/x1LS6qax
- is an information freedom group
- is Decentralized Artificial Intelligence Projects
- is a P2P Messenger + rewards
- is free and open source software for starting a minimalist, federated blog — or an entire community.
Social media alternatives
Not necessarily decentralized (please add noteworthiness):
- https://Ello.co - Seems interesting, aimed at artists. The interface is annoying. I prefer DeviantArt.
- https://Parler.com -
- https://Rokfin.com - Jason Bermas and others moving there from YouTube.
- https://Social.io - Just says "hello there".
- https://VK.com (WP: VK (service)) - Russian and English, endorsed by Ryan Dawson.
Cloud & internet services alternatives list
- ownCloud https://owncloud.org/features
- NextCloud https://nextcloud.com
- Seafile https://www.seafile.com/en/features
- FreedomBox https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
- PirateBox https://piratebox.cc/faq
- LibraryBox http://librarybox.us/Aboutv2.1.php
Self hosting guide
Some options for exposing your local services to the internet include:
- A dynamic DNS service like http://www.duckdns.org (free)
- must configure port forwarding on your router
- Paid proxy services
- Self-hosted proxy services
Domain names can be pointed to your services by configuring their
Offline hosting guide
[ To Be Determined ]
Search engine alternatives list
- https://Archive.org/web/web.php - Internet Archive: Wayback Machine
- https://Search.CreativeCommons.org - CC Search
- https://SwissCows.ch - " Since we NEVER collect your data, we NEVER track your data! We respect your privacy! "
- https://VLib.org - The WWW Virtual Library
- 20 Of the Best Search Engines in the World Right Now 2020
- 21 Alternative Search Engines to Use in 2020
- Best Uncensored Search Engines for Anonymous Searching
- Deep Web Links | Deep Web Sites | The Deepweb 2020
- Hidden Wiki | Tor .onion urls directories
- The Best Internet Search Engines To Use
- The Best Search Engines of 2020
- Top 10 Best Search Engines In the World (2020)
- Top 10 Search Engines In The World
Financial funding alternatives list
Started at this post: /s/DecentralizeAllThings/comments/b3e/decentralization_alternatives_financial_support/
- banks, credit unions, financial institutions, trusts, etc
- credit cards
- WP: PayPal
- WP: Patreon
- WP: GoFundMe
- WP: Kickstarter
- WP: Wefunder (on which Subverse raised million(s) in record time, Everipedia also)
Alternatives to consider:
- https://www.Chuffed.org/us "Non-profit charity and social enterprise fundraising"
- Chuffed is a crowdfunding platform for socially-conscious projects. We support individuals, not-for-profits, social enterprises and community groups to run awesome crowdfunding campaigns, all 100% free.
- used by Red Ice TV as mentioned on 2019-08-10 yet their site says closed 2019-07-01
Please feel free to comment for full disclosure on the pros and cons.
Further, there's no shortage of WP: cryptocurrencies as this WP: limited list attests. (Wikipedia has a war on against cryptos for fear of scams, yet support all the myths of the establishment and their giant scams). See also these dedicated subsaidits:
- Filecoin (IPFS)
- Namecoin (ZeroNet)
Paywall alternatives list
Ryan Dawson has gone through hell being censored.
In his interview with the Halsey News Network "Radio Free America (Episode 268): Social Censorship" (2019-03-04) @ around 1:40:00 they discuss who he's ruled out and the solution he goes with now. He finally set up a paywall through Cleeng after trying Muvi and Wistia and other stuff.
- Cleeng - https://Cleeng.com - Cleeng is a company based in the Netherlands that does nothing but payment processing. Subscriber Retention Management™ Designed For OTT. Most advanced APIs for maximum modularity and OTT efficiency. "Cleeng Core enables you to build a comprehensive OTT video platform and manages all aspects of subscriber management for you. Cleeng Core consists of identity and access management [IAM], product entitlement, customer service, subscriber billing and advanced analytics functionalities." See also: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Cleeng+Paywall+Netherlands
- Muvi - https://www.muvi.com
- Wistia - https://wistia.com
Sadly , Ryan Dawson said "they" were messing with his Cleeng account @8m+ in "A bit of everything with anti-bolton" (2019-06-10).
Multistream to 30+ Platforms | Restream.io - [ The best way to stream live video to 30+ platforms simultaneously for free ] : https://restream.io : /s/DecentralizeAllThings/comments/mh3/multistream_to_30_platforms_restreamio_the_best/
Video decentralization list
In part or in whole, these platforms embrace some decentralization features:
- https://BitChute.com + see also: IG: BitChute / WP: BitChute
- https://DLive.tv - "Live Stream on Blockchain" ?
- https://DTube.com + see also: IG: DTube / WP: DTube
- https://Isegoria.com (Ben Swann's Isegoria)
- https://PeerTube.com + see also: IG: PeerTube / WP: PeerTube
- IG: QBittorrent / WP: QBittorrent
- IG: WebTorrent / WP: WebTorrent
- TO DO: Merge the "Video decentralization list" above with the "YouTube alternatives lists" below into one unified table list and include distinguishing information.
- TO DO: "YouTube alternatives lists" below, distinguish streaming (no uploads) from sharing (can upload). (In a table?)
- TO DO: Distinguish financial support systems (ie. cryptocurrencies, rewards, donations, subscriptions, live chats, paywalls, etc) for content creators, video hosting, curating, trading, etc.
- TO DO: Then update the https://saidit.net/wiki/index#wiki_wiki_list.
YouTube alternatives lists
Started at this post: /s/DecentralizeAllThings/comments/cdq/youtube_alternatives/
For mainstream corporate media as well as independent alternative media, there are countless other lists available:
- https://www.All-Video-Sites.com for 250+ links so far.
This post's image used is from "10 Best YouTube Alternatives (Video Sharing Websites) for Watching Videos" (2018-11-01) on GeekDashBoard.com which included (my alphabetization):
- https://Archive.org/details/movies Internet Archive's Video Section
They didn't mention (omitting porn):
- https://153news.net - another alternative video site, preferred by Matthew North over BitChute.
- https://AOL.com (WP: AOL)
- https://BBC.co.uk/iPlayer (WP: BBC iPlayer)
- https://bilibili.com - Asian (WP: bilibili)
- https://Blip.tv redirects to https://www.Maker.tv/ with nothing there (WP: Blip)
https://Bolt.com(WP: Bolt 1996-2007)
- https://Brightcove.com (WP: Brightcove)
- https://Censored.TV with Gavin McInnes (and Soph)
- https://Clip.vn redirects to https://ClipTV.vn - Asian
- https://Crackle.com/ Crackle (WP: Crackle (streaming service))
- https://EntropyStream.live - used by Ryan Dawson, works with Twitch, features uncensored Entropy Chat with SuperChats in parallel with YouTube Chat, can sign in with Google and Google Pay or set up a new account with Entropy (NOT to be confused with Entropay)
- https://FC2.com (WP: FC2 (portal))
- https://FreeSpeech.org (WP: Free Speech TV 1995-present)
- https://Gaia.com (WP: Gaia, Inc.)
- https://GodTube.com (WP: GodTube)
http://Video.Google.com(WP: Google Video 2005-2012)
- https://Hulu.com (WP: Hulu)
- https://Line.me/en/ (WP: Line (software)) - Asian and English, endorsed by Ryan Dawson
- https://LinkedIn.com (WP: LinkedIn)
- https://LivePeer.org - Open Source Video Infrastructure Services, Built On The Ethereum Blockchain.
- https://Media.CCC.de - German with English
- " This site offers a wide variety of video and audio material distributed by the Chaos Computer Club provided in native formats (usually MPEG and/or Vorbis families) for online viewing. Older, archived recordings might require proprietary players. The media files on this site can also be downloaded for offline consumption. "
- https://Minds.com (WP: Minds)
- https://MySpace.com (WP: Myspace)
- https://Netflix.com (WP: Netflix)
- https://Photobucket.com (WP: Photobucket)
- https://www.Rabb.it (WP: Rabb.it)
http://Revver.com(WP: Revver 2004-2011)
- https://TeacherTube.com (WP: TeacherTube)
- https://Twitter.com (WP: Twitter)
- https://Unauthorized.tv - For select deplatformed content, not open for anyone. Founded by Vox Day, alt-right sci-fi author and founder of /s/InfoGalactic.
- https://UStream.tv redirects to https://Video.IBM.com "The Future of Video with Watson" IBM Watson Media (WP: redirects to IBM Cloud Video)
- https://Veoh.com (WP: Veoh)
- http://VideoJug.com redirects to https://www.YouTube.com/user/VideoJug
https://Vidme.com(WP: Vidme 2014-2017)
- https://VK.com (WP: VK (service)) - Russian and English, endorsed by Ryan Dawson
Yahoo! Screen(WP: Yahoo! Screen 2006-2011-2016-2019) Yahoo! Video Yahoo! View
- https://Youku.com (WP: Youku) - One of China's biggest.
- https://YouNow.com (WP: YouNow)
Zabim(A strange Jewish term. Not sure how it got on this list.)
revision by JasonCarswell— view source