This seems to be an unpopular opinion within the Saidit community.
I think a state should not just provide security, law and order for its citizens, but a wide array of services that it can take care of better than the free market, such as:
- A transport network, including affordable public transport to most locations.
- Free education for children with a uniform curriculum.
- Affordable higher education.
- An advanced healthcare system in which all medically necessary care is affordable.
- Strict standards on product quality and labelling
- Health and environmental protection, both in laws and in investigatory power.
- Active investigation of anticompetitive practices.
- Access to legal advice and affordable court cases.
In general I am more willing to trust my democratic government than large companies, so I want the former to protect me against the latter.
I believe that having a caring state makes it easier for the average citizen to become healthy, happy and moderately rich, even if taxes are significant. I like to pay tax: it buys us civilisation.